Although selfies have taken over when it comes to capturing images of yourself, self-portrait photography is still a thing. It is one of the sincerest forms of self-expression. Self-portraiture allows you to share your most honest self with the world.
An image is worth a thousand words. A good self-portrait can help you express your personality and share your story and even your values with the world. It all comes down to how you want to use it for yourself.
If you have a hard time taking a self-portrait because you are new to it, then this guide is for you. We’ll tell you all you need to know to get started with self-portrait photography.
What Is Self Portrait Photography?
A self-portrait photography as the name applies is about taking a picture of yourself. It is much more than taking just another random selfie. A self-portrait is taken after a lot of work and there are many prerequisites for it.
Our Savings For Photography Cameras [Today Deals]
- [2.7K & 30MP Ultra HD Camera] The digital camera with excellent performance...
- [Vlogging Record & Webcam] The camcorder with built-in microphone and...
- [3.0 Inch Flip Screen and Flashlight] This vlog camera has a 3'' flip...
- WORLDS SHARPEST AND MOST COLOR NEUTRAL ND: From the moment you pick up X4...
- MRC16 OPTICAL COATING: 16 Layer Multi-Resistance Coated to significantly...
- NANOTEC: In addition to state-of-the-art MRC, our optical engineers...
- Powerful 16. 1-Megapixel CCD sensor gives you room to enlarge, zoom and...
- 42x optical zoom and a 24mm wide angle lens Moves you closer to the subject...
- Face/Cat/dog detection detects facial features and enhances it for true...
- Full-Spectrum Camera
- 20 Megapixel Image Sensor
- 8x Zoom Lens
- Powerful 50x optical zoom with optical image stabilizer for outstanding...
- 20.3 Megapixel CMOS sensor with DIGIC 6 Image Processor helps deliver...
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC allows for easy sharing and transferring of images...
But it is part of the process because a self-portrait is meant to create lasting impressing for you. You can get as creative as you possibly can with a self-portrait.
For people who are looking for photography inspiration, portrait photography can be a good thing to go for.
You don’t need to go to a portrait photographer to take a self-portrait. You can do it all by yourself. This self-portrait guide is here to help you with that.
How Do You Take A Portrait Picture of Yourself?
So, are you ready to create your first self-portrait? Great! Get the below-mentioned gear and we’ll get straight to it
Get the Equipment
- Camera: Although you can use a smartphone or a disposable camera to take the photo, it is recommended that you get a mirrorless DSLR camera for the best results.
- Tripod: You need a stable tripod that allows you to get the best focus. You need to properly set it up so that it doesn’t move when you create a self-portrait.
- Lenses: You can use a lens between 85mm to 135mm. It is recommended for beginners. You can try out zoom lenses once you feel like you have gotten good at them.
- Lighting: when shooting indoors, you are going to need some kind of artificial light. Natural light won’t be feasible for indoor photography. You can either use the flash attachment of your camera or you can buy other lighting tools.
- Backdrop: Use a simple backdrop when taking a self-portrait. Choose the right size for the portrait.
Choose the Right Camera Settings
Right camera settings matter the most when taking a self-portrait. You won’t be able to take cool self-portraits if the camera settings are off. It doesn’t matter how great your portrait photography ideas are, you need the right camera settings to take the ideal shot.
Here is how you should set up the settings of your camera
- Shutter Speed
It is recommended that you use slow shutter speeds when taking a self-portrait. Don’t let the speed go below 1/250. You can adjust it depending on the location, but this value works fine for most places.
You can try out different ISO settings when doing creative photography. But with self-portraits, you want to be careful when setting this up. If the image is properly exposed, you can use a high ISO to avoid grain in the images.
Aperture is one of the most important things when taking a self-portrait. Keep the aperture at least f/2.5 for self-portraits. This setting would work fine and would help you get a good focus for yourself.
These recommended settings are like self-portrait photography tips for beginners. Once you have all these settings ready, you can move on to the final step.
Taking the Self-Portrait
Set your camera to self-timer mode and keep the settings to about 10 images at a time. You can try moving around and change your position to get photos from different angles. Analyze the captured images and use the position that looks good to you and try it again one more time to get the perfect self-portrait.
How Do You Take A Self Portrait at Home?
Just follow the guide that we have talked about here. This will help you get started with taking a self-portrait at home. You can try various creative self-portrait ideas at home. You can try out things like double exposures to spice up the self-portraits.
Does A Self Portrait Have to Be of Your Face?
Yes, this is the idea behind a self-portrait. You need to be the one taking the picture if you want to get a self-portrait.
Relevant Guide And Reviews
Last update on 2021-06-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API