Poodles are very smart and caring dogs, but will they jump in the water to have fun? Well, in this guide we have explained everything you need to know about poodles and how they actually behave when it comes to getting wet.
So, do poodles enjoy playing in water? It’s safe to say that poodles are one of the best swimmers when it comes to the different types of dog breeds. They actually enjoy playing in the water and will take any opportunity they get to jump in along with their owner.
Our Savings Best Dog Food For Poodle [Today Deals]
- Grab this funny cute kawaii Poodle Mixed Sushi Grip as a gift for your best...
- This funny Poodle Mixed Sushi Phone Grip is a perfect gift and cellphone...
- PopGrip with swappable top; switch out your PopTop for another design or...
- Royal Canin Poodle Adult 8+ dry dog food is designed to meet the...
- Highly palatable and rehydratable kibble can be mixed with warm water,...
- Supports healthy aging into the golden years with precise phosphorus...
- Contains omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, including EPA and DHA, and a...
- Supports the specific needs of adult Toy & Miniature Poodles.
- Formulated with high protein and L-carnitine to help maintain muscle mass.
- Royal Canin Poodle Puppy dry dog food is designed to meet the nutritional...
- Exclusive kibble design helps Poodles easily pick up and chew their food
- Helps support puppy’s developing immune system and natural defenses with...
History of Poodles and Water
Coming from Europe – well there is an ongoing debate on whether they came from Germany or France. Poodles are known to be a very hardworking dog, working alongside hunters and retrieving many things such as fowls from the lakes and rivers. Poodles coating are said to be pretty unique since it has the potential to get dry relatively quickly and is considered to be low maintenance when it gets wet constantly.
Base on poodles history, it is very clear that a well bred poodle from working lines will eventually love spending a lot of time in and around water.
How Do You Teach a Poodle to Swim?
If somehow your poodles have never been in water before, then you may consider introducing them to swimming. For the best experience possible you can utilize treat that your dog enjoys eating that will eventually motivate him to have a wonderful time.
It would be best if you actually pick a natural body of water for your dog to swim in. Make sure that he’s not able to see the ground and the reason behind this is because if your dog is unable to see the ground, he will commit to wading in deeper and deeper. It sound a bit weird, but whenever dog is able to see the bottom of a swimming pool, they actually become a lot fraider.
We tend to realize that the best places you can teach your poodle to swim are lakes or shallow rivers. If it’s a case where you live in a area that gets a lot of rainfall, then getting your poodle to swim in puddles would be a superb first steps.
- First you must take the time out to choose a location with shallow water. Your poodle should have the ability to waddle in deeper and deeper.
- If it’s a case where your poodle likes the company of other dogs around him, then you can ask your friends to bring their dogs as well. Studies as shown that dogs learn to do things a lot faster when they are surrounded by their friends and are playing with them in the water together.
- You should have your poodle wade into the water. Make sure not to force your dog to swim. You can start by providing him with a treat or simply throw his toys to encourage him to swim.
- If your poodle begins to swim, call him with a encouraging voice showing that your happy with him and you can even take it to another level by providing a treat and then let him return to a more shallow water.
- In order to make your poodle learn quicker, we think it would be best to make ths intervals shorter. One of the biggest mistakes most dog owners make is push their dogs too far, and this will only make it harder for your dog. The more patient you are with them, the better it will turn out to be.
Poodles Are Made For Water?
Apart from being styled effectively, poodles fur coat is dense, curly and said to be water-resistant. Without having to worry about their soggy coat weighing them down, they have the opportunity to swim much easier. You should keep in mind that poodles have only one coat; whereas most other dogs only have two.
As you may know, most dogs actually have webbing between their toes, it’s similar to people having skin between their fingers. Poodles tend to have more webbing than most dogs. This gives them the ability to paddle through the water as if they were given flippers.
Do Poodles Dislike Being Bathe?
Yes, there are some poodles who doesn’t like bathing. This usually has to do with their owners using the wrong shampoo on them or maybe the poodles coat have become so tangled and matte that it hurts when they are being bathed.
If you practice bathing your poodle on a regular basis, bathing him later in life will be extremely easy. Make sure that you brush your Poodle’s coating before you actually begins the bathing procedure. It would be best if use a gentle shampoo and conditioner that will leave his hair feeling smooth. If you need more details about can all poodles swim or not you can consult with a poodle expert.
Relevant Guides And Reviews
Last update on 2021-06-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API